Thursday, March 22, 2012

Books: Matched

I don't read that many books any more, since I am busy with school, but I manage a few and I was excited to read this one. I had heard good things about it from more than one person, then the author came to my lecture series class and spoke some about it. And it was fun and fast-paced and and well written.

I didn't like it.

It was not so much that I had any problem with the story itself, but the thing is it is the exact same storyline used by every single dystopian book in existence (by the way, I don't personally categorize Hunger Games as dystopian, since the main characters were never under the illusion that they lived in a good place). The love triangle was the same love triangle in everything. I knew exactly what was going to happen in the whole book just by reading in inside front cover.

One of the reasons I kept reading is that I kept hoping that the author would surprise me, that she would break out of the mold and have the main character make a non-standard decision, or have something unexpected happen. It was not to be, at least in this book. I have yet to decide whether I'll read the next one. Maybe she'll surprise me then.

I'm sort of just waiting for someone somewhere to write a dystopian book where they decide not to overthrow the government in the end. I think it would be an interesting story, and I think it has the potential of having some very deep issues. I'm also sort of waiting for a book where the hero decides to go with his/her head rather than his/her heart when it comes to romance. I'm tired of stories about stupid teenage girls causing havoc to everyone around them just for a guy that they have convinced themselves they can't live without.

No comments:

Post a Comment